Sunday 28 July 2013

Sos del Rey Católico

Sos del Rey Católico, Spain

We found ourselves in this town a little late in the day, so we spent the evening exploring its streets. It was the end of our first day in Spain.

The main iglesia was situated very near the main square, in which we found the whole town gathered for a performance by a brass band. Sos was small enough that wherever we went, we could always reorient ourselves by following the music.

There were a couple of children in bicycles and old people talking that were the few we encountered outside the square. It seems that sitting outdoors talking and staring is a favourite pastime of elderly Spanish folk. 

Though we couldn't capture them well on camera, there were dozens of swallows flying around, swooping down and around manically. It made me think it was the start of The Birds, though after watching for some time it became evident that it was not a sinister show but one of fun and amusement. 

We saw a young man walk out onto the balcony in the picture. Seeing that we were taking photos he made a hasty retreat back inside. It made me think what it might be like to live in such a place. 


Waking the next morning in the hotel room, I opened the window and heard birdsong and people jabbering away in Spanish. I really am starting to love the language. The shower had a bizarre jet system that looked like it was for massaging your back while you showered. I thought I'd give it a go, but I hadn't actually looked where the jets were located, so when I turned it on I was blasted in the back of the head and the back of my knees. I immediately burst into giggles and couldn't stop so I had to turn it off. It really wasn't pleasant, but it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment